I try not to talk about myself on here too much because I know you’re just here for the food, but, I have to share one thing. I quit my day job! As of January, 2012, I am a fulltime freelance photographer. Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen. <3
Anyway, back to the food.
Every Thanksgiving I end up asking myself why I don’t eat mashed potatoes all the time. There is no rule saying they can only be consumed on Thanksgiving. So then I go and look up recipes and am reminded why they are reserved for a day of overindulgence – cream, butter, & loads of salt. I set out to create a version of mashed potatoes that I feel okay about eating whenever.
The end result doesn’t actually have potatoes in them. They are cauliflower and bean based. It’s pretty crazy how much they taste like mashed potatoes though…
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- Salt and pepper
- Steam cauliflower florets until they are quite soft
- Mash up a can of beans with your fork
- If you like very creamy mashed potatoes, combine the cauliflower and beans in a food processor. If you like chunky mashed potatoes, puree the cauliflower in the food processor and stir in the mashed beans.
- Add salt and pepper (and some roasted garlic if you’d like) to taste.
- Eat/serve with gravy.
Marshall is pretty suspicious…