My mom makes killer french toast. We grew up eating it often on her mornings off. I have very warm and fuzzy memories about mornings with french toast. Those memories and my mom’s yellow kitchen inspired this post. Thanks mom. =)
This french toast is crazy decadent and crazy delicious. You start with thick fresh bread, spread some homemade cranberry sauce on it, and drizzle (or smother) with sweet cashew cream sauce.
Ingredients for french toast:
- 6 thick slices of bread
- 1 cup of nondairy milk (I used coconut milk)
- 2 Tablespoons silken tofu
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pine of salt
- Large dash of cinnamon
- Oil for frying
- Whisk together the milk, tofu, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
- Coat the bottom of the pan in oil and heat it up.
- Soak both sides of the bread in the milk mixture.
- Carefully put the slice of bread in the the pan and cook until light brown. Flip to cook the other side.
- Repeat with all the slices of bread.
- Drench with cashew cream (recipe below) and cranberry sauce.
Ingredients for cashew cream:
- 2 cups raw cashews, rinsed well under cold water
- 1-2 cups vanilla flavored nondairy milk
- Soak the cashews in water overnight.
- Drain the cashews and run them under water.
- Put the cashews in a blender and pour in enough milk to cover the cashews by about an inch.
- Blend until smooth.