Hey there! I hope everyone here with me on the east coast of the US is doing okay after hurricane Sandy. Roy (the boyfriend), Marshall (the cat), and I were lucky enough to get through it with no damage. I’m thinking of those of you who were not as lucky as Roy and I. =(
Sandy brought some cold weather. Soup weather! I’m normally not the biggest soup fan. It’s too one-note for me. I like some variety in each bite of my dishes. I think I came up with a solution. A biscuit baked on top of thick tomato soup with cashew cream and oregano pesto. So tasty!
Ingredients for Biscuts
- 2.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- .5 teaspoons baking soda
- .5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan margarine (earth balance)
Directions for Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread a little bit of olive oil on the parchment paper.
- Combine the soy milk and apple cider. Let is sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor with an S blade, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Drop the margarine into the food processor and combine.
- Add the soy milk mixture to the processor and pulse unti it becomes dough-like.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough until it is about 1″ thick.
- Pick which bowl you will be serving your soup in. Use the top of the bowl as a cookie cutter and cut the dough up.
- Put the dough onto the cookie sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes.
Ingredients for Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- Just enough unsweetened, plain soy milk to cover the cashews.
- A small pinch of salt
Directions for Cashew Cream
- Soak the cashews in water for a few hours.
- Strain the cashews.
- Combine the cashews, salt, and soy milk in a VitaMix. Blend until smooth.
Ingredients for Oregano Pesto
- 1.5 cups torn spinach
- 1 cups fresh oregano leaves
- 0.5 cup parsley
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or pistachios
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1.5-4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions for Oregano Pesto
- Process everything but the olive oil in a food processor.
- Continue processing and slowly pour the olive oil in until it is the right consistency.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 28-ounce can whole, fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup silken tofu
- 4 tbs red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet
- Simmer onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté until warm.
- Add the tofu, red wine, salt, basil, and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Or pour the soup into a blender to puree.
- Pour the into the previously decided upon bowl.
- Top with the biscuit, cashew cream, and pesto.