These English Muffins were a bit time consuming (about two hours total) but totally worth it. The boyfriend loved them. Let me know if you try them! =)
Ingredients, Special Hardware
- WHOOPIE PIE PAN
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- oil for the pan
- Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours (not the baking soda and salt). Add the yeast mixture and the warmed soy milk to the flours and mix together. The mixture will be wet.
- Cover the mix with a piece of plastic or a towel and let rise about 45 minutes. It probably won’t rise, it just gets a bubbly surface.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Grease the whoopie pie pan.
- After 45 minutes, stir the salt and baking soda into the batter and mix well.
- Divide the dough among the whoopie pie cavities. Don’t let the dough come above the surface of the pan or your will get a muffin-top on your english muffin.
- Cook the english muffins 3-5 minutes. Just long enough for the dough to hold its shape. You want them to be in the oven for as little time as possible.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and flip them onto a towel.
- Heat a very lightly oiled skillet or griddle to medium-low heat. Drop the muffin onto the pan. Cook 10 minutes then turn over to cook other side for an additional 10 minutes. Turn the temperature down if the muffin is burning before the 10 minutes is up.
- Let them cool completely before eating.
This recipe was adapted from VEGAN APPETITE. =)
Here is Marshall!
Read next: Dad’s Breakfast Granola