These (originally posted by Veganista) are, without exaggeration, the best pancakes I’ve ever had.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup organic canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Whatever pancake toppings you like (Earth Balance, syrup, agave nectar, jam, fruit, etc.)
- Combine the non-dairy milk with 2 teaspoons of vinegar. Set it aside for 5 minutes to let it curdle. This is a substitute for buttermilk.
- Mix the pumpkin, spices, water & almond milk together.
- Stir the flour, baking soda, and baking powder into the pumpkin mix.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, stir lightly, and then let it sit for 5 minuts more.
- Put a pan on the stove over low heat for a few minutes.
- Pour 4″ worth of batter into the pan. Once the pancake is covered in bubbles, flip it over. Makes 20, 4″ pancakes.
Nutrition info for one pancake (does not include topping)
- Calories – 60
- Fat – 0.4g
- Carb – 12.5g
- Protein – 2.4g
As always, my awesome cat chilled w/ me while I took photos.
Read next: Irish Chocolate Whiskey Ice Candy